Tetris (Spectrum HoloByte)
|Playfield dimensions||10 × 20|
|Hard drop||Hard only|
|Rotation system||Identical to Sega Rotation, except the vertical state of the S tetromino is shifted 1 space right|
The first Tetris game developed and released by Spectrum HoloByte, and the first version to be released commercially.
There are two versions of the game; the revised version has the plane on the title screen removed (at the request of Elorg) and the military-themed backgrounds replaced (at the request of Pajitnov). The revised version was also featured on Tetris Gold.
Timing is based on video frames, which are approximately 1/70 of a second.
- Gravity makes a piece fall by one row every 20 - (level * 2) frames.
- Lock delay is 16 frames.
- Line clear delay is 20 frames.
- ARE is 2 frames.
Placing a piece awards score according to the following formula:
- points = 4 + (2 * level) + row number of top of piece
The bottom row is number 1. If the piece was dropped manually, the position before dropping is used, so for a high score the player should drop as soon as possible.
If piece preview is enabled at the time a piece is placed, a 25% penalty is assessed: (both divisions are rounded down)
- points with preview on = floor(points / 2) + floor(points / 4)
No additional points are awarded for line clears.
- Tetris Gold - A compilation release which included this version.