MAME is an open source project, which give the chance to test code changes.
Current version: 0.133 + upy's diffs + WolfMAME's inpview
- MAME Source diff, SDLMAME source diff (requires previous diff)
- Windows GCC VC++ 2005 (the latter might be faster)
- Mac OS X x86
This mod makes MAME poll for host input more often. It makes TGM even less playable (too heavy for my poor laptop), but it is not that heavy with TGM2 and TAP.
In addition, it handles pressing opposite directions in a different way:
- If you press left, then right without releasing left, it will read left then right
- Original MAME locks (i.e. ignores) both left and right if you pressed right without releasing left
- This also works for right->left, up->down and down->up
- Still, if you press left and right at the same time, it will lock both
- However, if you press up and down at the same time, it will prefer up
TGM and TGM2/TAP are also set to 4-way, because on the keyboard or on a 8-way stick, pressing left, left-down, down does not lock a piece on left-down but only on down (some may say this is a cheat, but I say it's an enhacement: you can't possibly press left-down on a 4-way stick, so when you press left, down it's really left, down, not left, left-down, down).
Note: this mod produces/reads .inp files incompatible with the original MAME.